The Dead Island developers have been on the road showcasing the Zombie Slasher to gaming blogs left right and center. Hear is the roundup ofÂ Kotaku‘sÂ preview.
The author was first up with the author logging 1 hour of the game. HeÂ playedÂ through the campaign with Xian Me starting off in a lifeguard tower. One of the more interesting gameplay features noted,
First I take my weapons to one ofÂ Dead Island‘s many workbenches. Here, I upgrade and repair a diving knife that was just given to Xian Mei by one of the survivors. Repairing blunt weapons and sharpening blades is the simple stuff. And necessary, since weapons will decay and break as players fight off zombies. But players can also spend cash on wilder upgrades, transforming a baseball bat into a spiked nail-bat or a cleaver into an electrified blade that stuns its victims
WorkÂ benchesÂ to repair and upgrade weapons sound interesting. It sounds alot better than your usual in gameÂ buying, selling, trading found in most games.
Navigating throught the first mission to save a lifegaurd we find out that a map will aid the player
Dead Island directs players with a simple map in the bottom corner of the screen, a white line indicating their path. Google Maps-style markers highlight people and locations.
What really tickled our fancy here at deadislanfans was the aurthors qoute about ripping off limbs with a cleaver
Her cheap cleaver cuts into a few of them, slicing off arms and heads, but not without a fight and not without that blade breaking after just a few hits. Melee combat inÂ Dead Island is tough.
The blade breaking after a few hits and meleeÂ combat being is very unique. Â TheÂ realismÂ sounds amazing i have always been one take a liking to slicing off heads.
Early on in the first missions the player gets to drive a truck. Now another vehicle confirmed besides cars, and the authorÂ soundedÂ like he had a blast driving it. I’m a bit jealous just how much fun he had driving it.
Fortunately, we come across a truck crashed into the side of a bungalow. It works, so I take it, driving it up the road while gleefully running down zombies. It’s satisfying, crashing into the undead. Now I’m the more powerful one, even if that vehicle is showing obvious signs of damage and has finicky, realistic driving controls. I reach a gate, which survivors open from the other side. I ditch the truck, which now has a shattered windshield and smoke pouring from its hood. Things damage easily in this game.
How does Dead Island deal with players dying in game?
Fortunately, the penalty for death inÂ Dead Island isn’tÂ too severe. It’ll cost players some cash, (maybe) some experience points and whatever consumable goods you used before you died. But you’ll respawn in a safe place and have another chance at zombie survival.
The other main points noted in the interview
- Xian Mei has a special ability, described as “Rage Mode” by Deep Silver reps, that she can employ at certain times. This doesn’t transform her into a zombie-crushing superhuman, it just makes her deadlier during hand-to-hand combat.
- It was clearly possible to avoid many zombie fights. As my demo (and ammo) came to an end, I opted to sprint past a handful of packs, which were mostly easily outrun. Running through the crumbled city, I found plenty of coverage opportunities, many off-beaten paths to hide from hordes.
- Players may not want to avoid too many zombie confrontations. Undead will drop money, weapons and items that players will want to collect.
- Characters will have multiple speech packs, which will change over the course of the game. Xian Mei, for example, will deliver frightened dialogue in the beginning of the game, but will sound more calm, more battle hardened by its end.
- There are propane tanks that players can use to their advantage. They can be tossed at a pack and blown up with a carefully aimed shot or knife throw. Zombies inÂ Dead Island burn easily.
- Players will find collectible recordings throughout the world which will shed some light on the broader story ofÂ Dead Island.
Any hardened Dead Island Fan will love this preview. So much speculation has built up now we have someÂ hardenedÂ facts to go by. Our thirst for some Dead Island video gameplay has now tripled.
Thanks to Kotaku. You can see checkout thier other preview too.
Powered by Facebook Comments